With my favorite holiday just around the corner. It’s got me inspired to create some creature artwork. So I’ve been wanting to paint this Batman from one of my favorite Elseworld stories. Haven’t done an illustration on black paper in some time and thought this Batman illustration would look good on it and capture the atmosphere I wanted to express with this piece. Here’s the beginning stage of my Batman Red Rain painting on Strathmore Artagain paper.
Here is progress shot 4 for this Flashpoint Joker Sketch Cover. For this stage, I started with the green shirt area. Slowly built up the greens by going back and forth until the tones I was going for were achieved. Next I moved on to rendering the tie. The tie was rendered with the same technique as the shirt. Rendered with Faber-Castell PITT artist pens and Liquitex paint.
Here is a little more progress on this Flashpoint Joker Sketch Cover. For this stage, I stared with the face. Stared off with the eyes and moved onto the nose. Next up was painting the the cheeks, frown lines and the eyebrows. From there finished the face area by rendering the mouth. Once the face area was complete I moved on to the trench coat. The beginning purple was rendered with mainly dry brush technique of pulling the across the paper to achieve the material look and feel. Rendering Faber-Castell PITT artist pens and Liquitex Paint.
The art cave is busy with prepping for SDCC. Working on painting some sketch covers to have with me at Booth 1330. This Flashpoint Joker is currently on my art table.
Lots going on in the art cave, knocking out projects, commissions, gearing up for Comic Con. I will be exhibiting with Cathleen Abalos and Dean Rullan at Cool Cat Blue Booth 1330. I will have custom sketch covers, prints, and my indie comic magazine Unique Realm Illustrated and new Twisted Fate merch & apparel.
Found a little time between projects and prepping for Comic Con to finish this Venom Sketch Cover. I continued to work with more dry brush technique on the rest of the body area. Once Venom was finished up, I moved on to the logo area. For this area, I used uni POSCA paint markers to outline, fill and touch up the logo from the background paint that made its way into the logo. The painted cover was rendered with a combination of Faber-Castell PITT artists pens, POSCA Paint Markers and Liquitex Paint.
Slowly making a little more progress on this sketch cover between various projects. On this progress stage, I moved on to rendering the the face area with dry brush technique to create the symbiote texture.
I’m slowly making a little more progress on this Venom Sketch Cover between various projects. With the background all finished up, I moved on to painting the mouth area. I started painting the tongue first and built up the color layers with dry brush technique. Then I moved on to rendering the gums with the same technique.
Started working on this Sketch Cover. With the Venom Sketch Cover pencils all finished up, I moved on to painting the background. Here is the process behind the work in progress 1. The background was laid down by layering different tones of red upon each other. Once the look I was going for was achieved, I moved on to adding more texture with Liquitex free•style Splatter Brushes.
Been busy with knocking out projects, commissions and conventions so haven’t had a chance to share the finished painted Doctor Doom Sketch Cover. Here it is all finished up. Rendered with Faber-Castell PITT artist pens, POSCA paint markers and Liquitex paint.