Here is the finished Flashpoint Joker Cover. On this last stage, I stared with a base green color. Form there went back and forth with the different shades of green layering until the hair was complete. The background was lacking something for me so I added lightning to bring the whole cover together. Lastly, I didn’t like the way the yellow on the logo looked with rest of the cover so I decided it needed to change. Since Flashpoint Batman’s logo is black and red, I decided to change the logo to match that style. The change was made with a red copic maker by going over all the yellow areas of the logo. Once it was done, the cover come together fully. Rendered with Faber-Castell PITT artist pen, Liquitex paint and Posca paint markers.
Here is progress shot 4 for this Flashpoint Joker Sketch Cover. For this stage, I started with the green shirt area. Slowly built up the greens by going back and forth until the tones I was going for were achieved. Next I moved on to rendering the tie. The tie was rendered with the same technique as the shirt. Rendered with Faber-Castell PITT artist pens and Liquitex paint.
Here is progress shot 3 for this Flashpoint Joker Sketch Cover. I started by working on the right side collar first. From there, I moved onto rendering the rest of the right side purple areas. Next, I moved onto the left side until all the purple areas were complete. I continued to use dry brush technique for the trench coat. The dry brush technique brings out shapes and textures while dragging the paint across the paper. Rendered with Faber-Castell PITT artist pens and Liquitex paint.
Here is a little more progress on this Flashpoint Joker Sketch Cover. For this stage, I stared with the face. Stared off with the eyes and moved onto the nose. Next up was painting the the cheeks, frown lines and the eyebrows. From there finished the face area by rendering the mouth. Once the face area was complete I moved on to the trench coat. The beginning purple was rendered with mainly dry brush technique of pulling the across the paper to achieve the material look and feel. Rendering Faber-Castell PITT artist pens and Liquitex Paint.
Had a fantastic time boothing with these amazing friends Cathleen & Cassandra Abalos, Dean & Glady Rullan, and Matthew Walker at SDCC 2019. For me there is nothing like being part of comic conventions. It’s when I feel the most alive beside when creating art. Exhibiting is exhausting, but in other ways it sets my soul of fire, the whole essence of my being always comes away feeling more alive, energized and inspired from exhibiting.
A huge thank you to everyone that stopped by the booth! We look forward to seeing you all again soon!!
The art cave is busy with prepping for SDCC. Working on painting some sketch covers to have with me at Booth 1330. This Flashpoint Joker is currently on my art table.
Found a little time between projects and prepping for Comic Con to finish this Venom Sketch Cover. I continued to work with more dry brush technique on the rest of the body area. Once Venom was finished up, I moved on to the logo area. For this area, I used uni POSCA paint markers to outline, fill and touch up the logo from the background paint that made its way into the logo. The painted cover was rendered with a combination of Faber-Castell PITT artists pens, POSCA Paint Markers and Liquitex Paint.
Slowly making a little more progress on this sketch cover between various projects. On this progress stage, I moved on to rendering the the face area with dry brush technique to create the symbiote texture.
I’m slowly making a little more progress on this Venom Sketch Cover between various projects. With the background all finished up, I moved on to painting the mouth area. I started painting the tongue first and built up the color layers with dry brush technique. Then I moved on to rendering the gums with the same technique.
Started working on this Sketch Cover. With the Venom Sketch Cover pencils all finished up, I moved on to painting the background. Here is the process behind the work in progress 1. The background was laid down by layering different tones of red upon each other. Once the look I was going for was achieved, I moved on to adding more texture with Liquitex free•style Splatter Brushes.